Flatmate Finders undertakes to collect Your Data by means that are:
- legal; and
If you visit Flatmate Finders' web-site, your web-browser automatically discloses, and Flatmate Finders' web-server automatically logs, the following information: the date and time, the IP address from which you issued the request, the type of browser and operating system you are using, the URL of any page that referred you to the page, the URL you requested, and whether your request was successful. This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
Any additional data that you provide, e.g. in a web-form, may also be logged. This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
Any additional data that your web-browser automatically provides may also be logged. This will be the case, for example, if your browser has previously been requested to store data on your computer in 'cookies' and submits them each time you request a web-page within a particular domain (such as Flatmate Finders.com.au). This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
If you disclose personal data to Flatmate Finders in conjunction with an identifier such as your name or your credit-card details, Flatmate Finders will collect Your Data. Moreover, any data that becomes available to Flatmate Finders through any of the means described in the preceding paragraphs may be able to be associated with that identifier, and hence become Your Data.
Subject to the qualifications immediately below, Flatmate Finders undertakes to collect Your Data from you and not from other parties. This undertaking is qualified as follows:
- where Flatmate Finders reasonably considers that the protection of its financial interests requires that it gather Your Data from other sources, or from additional sources. This applies in particular where Flatmate Finders
has a lending exposure to you, and seeks information about your creditworthiness;
- where Flatmate Finders reasonably considers that its capability to deliver quality services to you will be
materially enhanced by gathering YourData from other sources. This applies in particular to consumer
Where Flatmate Finders collects Your Data from sources other than you, it undertakes:
- to do so only by legal means;
- to do so only with your Consent; and
- to declare to you what sources it uses, and under what circumstances.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to declare the purpose of collection in a manner which is clear and meaningful, and to avoid vague, highly inclusive statements such as 'to support our operations'.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to store Your Data in a manner that ensures security against unauthorised access, alteration or deletion, at a level commensurate with its sensitivity.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to store Your Data only in jurisdictions where data protections are at least equivalent to those required under the OECD Guidelines.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to transmit Your Data in a manner that ensures security against unauthorised access, alteration or deletion, at a level commensurate with its sensitivity.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to implement appropriate measures to ensure security of Your Data against inappropriate behaviour by Flatmate Finders' staff-members and contractors. These include:
- training for staff in relation to privacy;
- access control, to limit access to Your Data to those staff and contractors who have legitimate reasons to access it;
- particularly in the case of sensitive data, audit trails of accesses, including the identities of staff and contractors accessing the data;
- reminders to staff and contractors from time to time about the importance of data privacy, and the consequences of inappropriate behaviour;
- declaration of appropriately strong sanctions that are to be applied in the event of inappropriate behaviour
- clear communication of policies and sanctions; and
- processes to audit, to investigate and to impose sanctions.
Use refers to the application of Your Data by any part of Flatmate Finders, or any staff-member or contractor of Flatmate Finders in the course of their work.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to use Your Data only for:
- the purposes for which it was collected;
- such other purposes as are subsequently agreed between Flatmate Finders and You;
- such additional purposes as may be required by law. In these circumstances, Flatmate Finders will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that the use has occurred, unless it is precluded from doing so by law; and
- such additional purposes as are authorised by law (in particular to protect Flatmate Finders' interests, e.g. if it believes on reasonable grounds that You have failed to fulfil your undertakings to Flatmate Finders or have committed a breach of the criminal law).
Flatmate Finders undertakes to use YourData only if it has demonstrable relevance to the particular use to which it is being put.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to use YourData in such a manner as to take into account the possibility that it is not of sufficient quality for the purpose, e.g. because it is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, or out-of-context.
Disclosure refers to making YourData available to any party other than Flatmate Finders and You. The term disclosure may include many different conditions of data transfer, including selling, renting, trading, sharing and giving.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to disclose Your Data only under the following circumstances:
- in the course of business being conducted between You and Flatmate Finders, where disclosure is necessary to a contractor, such as a transport company. Where Your Data is disclosed in this way, Flatmate Finders undertakes to exercise control over Flatmate Finders' contractors to ensure that their actions are compliant with these Terms;
- in other circumstances that are directly implied by the purpose agreed between You and Flatmate Finders at the time of data collection or subsequently. Where Your Data is disclosed in this way, Flatmate Finders undertakes to exercise control over Flatmate Finders' contractors to ensure that their actions are compliant with these Terms;
- with your consent, or at your request;
- where required by law, such as a provision of a statute, or a court order such as a search warrant or sub poena. In these circumstances, Flatmate Finders will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that the disclosure has occurred, unless it is precluded from doing so by law;
- where permitted by law (e.g. the reporting of suspected breach of the criminal law to a law enforcement agency; and in an emergency, where Flatmate Finders believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure of YourData will materially assist in the protection of the life of health of some person), provided that Flatmate Finders will apply due diligence to ensure that the exercise of the permission is justifiable.
In all cases, Flatmate Finders undertakes to disclose only such of Your Data as is necessary in the particular circumstances.
Data retention and destruction
Subject to the qualifications immediately below, Flatmate Finders undertakes:
- to retain Your Data only as long as is consistent with its purpose; and
- to destroy Your Data when its purpose has expired, and to do so in such a manner that Your Data is not subsequently capable of being recovered.
This undertaking is qualified as follows:
- Your Data may be retained in Flatmate Finders' logs, backups and audit trails within short-term retention cycles that are devised to protect the company's operations. In such cases, Your Data will be destroyed in accordance with those cycles;
- Your Data may be retained beyond the expiry of its purpose if that is required by law, such as a provision of a statute, or a court order such as a search warrant or sub poena, or a warning by a law enforcement agency that delivery of a court order is imminent. In these circumstances, Flatmate Finders:
- will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that Your Data is being retained, unless it is precluded from doing so by law; and
- will only retain Your Data while that provision is current, and will then destroy Your Data;
- Your Data may be retained beyond the expiry of its purpose if it is authorised by law (in particular to protect Flatmate Finders' interests, e.g. if it believes on reasonable grounds that You have failed to fulfil your undertakings to Flatmate Finders or have committed a breach of the criminal law). In these circumstances, Flatmate Finders will only retain Your Data while that situation is current, and will then destroy Your Data.
Access by you to your personal data
Flatmate Finders undertakes to provide you with access to Your Data, subject to only such conditions and processes as are reasonable in the circumstances. In particular, Flatmate Finders undertakes to enable access:
- without unreasonable delay; and
- without cost.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to establish and operate identity authentication protections for access to Your Data that are appropriate to its sensitivity, but practical. This may involve some inconvenience; for example, relatively straightforward procedures may be involved in order to provide you with access through a channel that you have previously registered with Flatmate Finders (such as a particular email-address), but may impose more onerous procedures if you wish to use some other channel.
In the event that you dispute some aspect of Your Data, Flatmate Finders undertakes to take reasonable steps in relation to the amendment, supplementation or deletion of Your Data.
- not to seek access for frivolous purposes, or unreasonably frequently;
- to accept that deletion of some data may not be consistent with the provision of particular services by Flatmate Finders to you.
Information about data-handling practices
Flatmate Finders undertakes to make information available to you about the manner in which Flatmate Finders handles your data:
- in general terms, in a readily accessible manner; and
- in more specific terms, on request.
Where Your Data is disclosed to a contractor, Flatmate Finders undertakes to make information available to you on request about the manner in which Flatmate Finders' contractors handle your data.
Flatmate Finders undertakes to ensure that the information provided is meaningful, and addresses your concerns.
- not to seek such information for frivolous purposes, or unreasonably frequently; and
- to accept that the disclosure of excessive detail may harm the security of Your Data and Flatmate Finders' business processes, and may harm Flatmate Finders' commercial interests.
Handling of enquiries, general concerns & complaints
If you have enquiries, general concerns, or complaints about these Terms, or about Flatmate Finders' behaviour in relation to these Terms, you undertake:
- to communicate them in the first instance:
- to Flatmate Finders only;
- in sufficient detail;
- through a channel made available by Flatmate Finders for that purpose;
Flatmate Finders undertakes:
- to provide one or more channels for communications to Flatmate Finders, which are convenient to users;
- to promptly provide acknowledgement of the receipt of communications, including the provision of a copy of the communication, the date and time it was registered, and Flatmate Finders' reference-code for the communication;
- to promptly provide a response to the communication, in an appropriate and meaningful manner.
You further undertake to not pursue Flatmate Finders through any Regulator or the media:
- until and unless Flatmate Finders has had a reasonable opportunity to respond to the initial communication; and
- while Flatmate Finders and you remain are conducting a meaningful dialogue about the matter.
Flatmate Finders declares that its undertakings in these Terms are intended to create legal obligations, and that those obligations are intended to be enforceable under appropriate laws in appropriate jurisdictions. These include laws relating to data protection, privacy, fair trading, corporations and criminal laws.
You undertake to seek enforcement only in a jurisdiction that is relevant to the transactions that have taken place between You and Flatmate Finders, in particular the jurisdiction in which you live or in which you performed the relevant acts, and the jurisdiction in which Flatmate Finders is domiciled or performed the relevant acts.
If you wish to discover the relevant laws in any particular jurisdiction, Flatmate Finders draws your attention to the following resources:
- WorldLII Privacy Links
- Compilation of [U.S.] State and Federal Privacy Laws, Privacy Journal, Providence RI
- Privacy Law Sourcebook 2004, EPIC, Washington DC
- The Australian Privacy Foundation's pages:
- International Instruments Relating to Privacy Law
- Privacy Laws of Countries of the World
- Privacy Laws of the Commonwealth of Australia
- Privacy Laws of the States and Territories of Australia
- Privacy International
Changes to these privacy undertakings
Flatmate Finders undertakes:
- not to materially change these Terms in a manner that reduces the protections for Your Data;
- to take all possible steps to prevent any company that acquires this company or any of its relevant assets from materially changing the Terms applicable to Your Data in a manner that reduces the protections for Your Data;
- where it is considering making changes to these Terms, or creating more specific Terms relating to specific services, to consult with appropriate representative and advocacy organisations;
- where it makes changes to these Terms, to ensure that the differences between successive versions are readily accessible;
- to maintain all prior versions of these Terms in such a manner that they are dated, and readily accessible.
Flatmate Finders means Linksoft Solutions Pty Ltd.
Your Data means data that is capable of being associated with you, whether or not it includes an explicit identifier such as your name or customer number. In particular, it encompasses all data that Flatmate Finders is capable of correlating with you, using such means as server-logs and cookie-contents.
Your Data does not refer to data that can no longer be associated with you. This includes aggregated data that does not and cannot identify the individuals whose data are included in the aggregation.
Consent means your concurrence with an action to be taken by Flatmate Finders. Consent may be express or implicit, but in either case must be informed and freely-given.
Copyright in the Privacy Statement Template is owned by Roger Clarke's company, Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd.
WIN an Apple iPad Mini
Terms & conditions
Find us on Facebook
Join us on Facebook
What people say about us
I always used Flatmate Finders to find a new housemate as it so easy and convenient, I get to know the person really well before interviewing and have no problems finding suitable matches, I have been using the site for years and it's helped me out every time I needed a new tenant.Daniel B Dec 8, 2013
It took nearly 3 weeks for us to find a place but was introduced to your service toward the end. Both places that we seriously considered moving to were from Flatmate Finders. Very happily paid for your filtering and matching service that provided specificity and flexibility all at once. Keep up the good work!Mei L Dec 8, 2013
Flatmate Finders is such a great service - I have no complaints. Great website!Alicia M Dec 3, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a very good service and really helpful. I will definitely use it again!!Gail M Dec 2, 2013
I started the process of searching for a flat mate with anxiety and apprehension. However, after only two days of putting up my details on your website, I found a lovely flat mate and potential friend to let my spare room to. I am just so relieved!! I did put up the advert on other websites however, I received spam mail and requests from incompatible flat mates. I found your services straightforward, comforting and efficient! Thank you!!Priyanka B Nov 30, 2013
Flatmate Finders was quick and easy! Much better than Gumtree. Though some people were hard to get a hold others really made an effort. Would use this site again. thanks NishaNisha S Nov 30, 2013
Great service - I found a wonderful house with wonderful people. Thanks Flatmate Finders!Nicole R Nov 22, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a great site to find suitable flatmates. I will definitely recommend it to others!!Nicole R Nov 21, 2013
Flatmate Finders is an awesome service and I will definitely be using you guys again the next time I need to find someone!Doug R Nov 19, 2013
I wish to also express my thanks for the quality of this service and will be sure to continue to recommend it to others.Carl T Nov 17, 2013
LOVE LOVE LOVE this site! I've now been approved for a unit and I will be using Flatmate Finders to find a housemate of my own!Jessie M Nov 13, 2013
It's great to see people's profiles before meeting them. The on line matching was great. I will use Flatmate Finders again should the need arise.Michael R Nov 12, 2013
Thanks to Flatmate Finders, I was able to find a beautiful apartment o live in and will be moving in with very similar people to me. This service is a million times better than Gumtree as you get to see what the person is like before you go to the viewing. I love flatmatefinders.com.au and will be recommending it to as many people as I can. Thanks for providing this extremely useful and efficient service!Aisling H Nov 9, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a fantastic alternative to find people to live with that really match your expectations. I've had good experiences using this service not only because I found great flatmates more than once, but also because the website is easy to use.Diana C Nov 7, 2013
I loved Flatmate Finders - it's great how you match people. The only thing I would change is to have a drop down option for rent including bills instead of only having excluding. Apart from that I would use it again!Jess M Oct 24, 2013
Hi Flatmate Finders Team, I found another great flatmate through the website as per always. Thanks for offering such a smooth service and somehow attracting only the best people! All the best, NatashaNatasha A Oct 23, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a very good service.....helps take a lot of the guess work out of the selection process. Thank you for your assistance !!!Andrew P Oct 21, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a great website to find roommates. All-in-all a great experience once again. Thanks!Fallen G Oct 21, 2013
The website is excellent. Really like the way it provides a short list from you to chose from and it a very easy way to get in touch and communicate with potential flat mates. I'd highly recommend the site to friends.Lois B Oct 20, 2013
Flatmate Finders is a great service. Much higher caliber of people! Definitely will recommend it to friends!Genevieve O Oct 20, 2013
Flatmate Finders is the best website to look for a place. I've used it twice this year with great results!Raquel A Oct 19, 2013
I will recommend Flatmate Finders to everyone. It's far superior to Easyroommate - they are ruthless.Naomi D Oct 17, 2013
Flatmate Finders is amazing. I met so many cool people. It is a very thorough website and I will use it again next time! Thanks for the great job.X X Oct 16, 2013
Flatmate Finders makes finding an apartment really easy and i'll definitely recommend my friends to use it when they're looking for an apartment.Johannes A Oct 16, 2013
I just moved into a share house using this service and wanted to let you know I was really impressed with the way it's set up - it's really easy to use. Thanks so much for providing such a user friendly and cost effective service!Lauri B Oct 14, 2013